Monday - 13 August 2017 - Lille Cathedral - Shopping - Booking

Today was frustrating but rewarding day.  I spent the morning booking train, hotel, and tour tickets for when Elise and Johnny get here.  Not my favorite thing to do.  But I pushed through and got it done and hope that I can keep everything straight and find all my confirmation codes.

After hours of that, Bradford and I decided to run into town before our work day began.  I literally googled "Things to Do in Lille" and found that there is a museum of a Medieval Hospice north of Rihour (the center of Old Lille).  I used the Transpole app to figure out how to get there and we set off.

What a great part of Lille.  It looks more to me like Paris than Paris does.  It's like what you imagine Paris SHOULD look like.  As we wandered the streets I saw a little alleyway that said the words "Notre Dame" I decided to see where it lead.  Just as I turned the corner, beyond the ivy-covered walls jumped out a HUGE cathedral that reminded me of the Paris' Notre Dame.  We walked to the front and saw that it was open.

As we walked into the cathedral, I wanted to cry.  It was so beautiful and angelic voices filled the space with hymns and arias.  White and red candles were lit in various places and the light shined through the stained glass windows.  THIS is why I spend two months in France, for moments like this.

As we walked around, we learned that the cornerstone of the cathedral was blessed on 1854 and the final transparent marble wall was completed in 1999.  I can't think of anything in the U.S. that took 145 years to complete.  Most architects want to see the final product of their designs.  Charles Leroy died in the 1860's when it still had a temporary building.

Walking through this absolute masterpiece I thought about how generations had to agree to the same vision that those in 1854 had.  They couldn't change the location, the purpose of the building, and I'm guessing to much of the design.  Each generation had to continue the work of the generation before them.  It is clear the cathedral construction began in the back and moved it's way forward.  The entrance definitely looks modern.  But somehow it all works together.

When walking through the church you can't help but admire the detail that went into it.  The mosiacs alone must represent thousands and thousands of man hours.  It has two organs, lots and lots of stained glass windows, and incredible detail in every corner.

Since the cathedral was completed 18 years ago, I wonder how many people who helped to build it are still alive.  How many of them get to watch all the tourists walk in and admire with awe their handiwork?  Those who worked on it decades ago don't get to watch their labor admired.  But I'm guessing that's not why they did it.

I have a conflicted relationship with the Catholic church.  Catholicism is rooted in my family tree very deep.  My French, Italian, and German ancestors were Catholics for years.  It's a part of being who I am.  But the Catholic Church has also been a huge source of pain too.  It is why my 3rd great grandfather had to go to jail.  It's why he died alone and penniless without his family around him.  It's why my grandmother and father had a strained relationship for years.  I love my Catholic heritage, but I resent it too.

After touring the cathedral we wandered over to Rihour to hit the mall at Gare Lille Europe (the major train station).  On the way I saw the Kase store.  This is where I bought my phone case with my kids picture on it.  I decided it was time for an update and bought another one.  I can't wait to show it to Elise and Johnny.  (The store, not my phone case).

After grabbing some groceries at Carrefour, including boxed milk.  Bradford needed to sit down for his daily call so I decided to run over to a Pharmacy (like a Walgreen's) to get some anti itch creme for bug bites.  Bad idea.  The queue was super long so I jumped in one that only had one person.  Really bad idea.  The guy in front of me talked nonstop for 10 minutes, apparently telling the cashier about all of his ailments.  He finally stopped talking and then left.

After we got off at the Bois Blanc metro stop, I saw that a Pharmacy is right at my metro stop.  No lines, no people.  I need to remember to take advantage that I live in town.

Comments

Popular Posts