Church in Lille

Yesterday was my first Sunday back at church in Lille.  Last Sunday we went to church with our friends in Stuttgart.  I was actually pretty surprised at how the day went.

Three years ago when I went to church I felt very subconscious and awkward.  I was living alone with my two kids and we didn't speak a lick of French.  We became friends with two BYU students living there for the summer and they did our translating for us.  So I didn't really interact too much with the people because I couldn't talk to them anyway.

But coming back truly felt like coming home.  As soon as we walked in the door, a man approached us and in perfect English said, "You two look like you are American."  I said, "We are, are you?"  He was.  He and his wife have been living in Lille for a year.  They are from Utah.  It's very rare to find an expat in Lille.  So of course we bonded instantly, and ended having dinner at their lovely home.

As we were saying our goodbyes, Neris Salazar saw me.  She was my translator when I had that special day in Viesly, so we share a very special bond.  It was really good to see her.

As I walked into the chapel, I saw Marie France.  Oh, how I love this woman.  She was the driver when we went to Viesly, and translated the stories my Viesly cousin had to say.  I can't tell you how special she is to me.  She can't speak English, nor I French but we truly do communicate spirit to spirit.

After Sacrament Meeting, I saw Alice's Young Woman Leader.  She served a mission in Independence Missouri's visitor center, and her husband served in Australia.  So we went spent all of Sunday School in the hallway getting reacquanited.  They speak great English, thankfully.  Alexandre (the husband) said that just recently he was telling the young men about Johnny and how hard he worked at the French Scout Camp without complaining.  He also said that my visit to the ward 3 years ago impacted the ward's attitude about family history and inspired some to get started on theirs.  They figured if a woman would come all the way from America just to try to find a death date, they can do their part.  Virginie (the wife) and I had a lovely conversation about New York City, Cypress, and Utah.  They have plans to go to Utah in April for a month, and I hope that we can host them in our home.

As I was getting ready to go into Relief Society, a woman approached me in wonderful English.  We visited and then she said, "Do you know who I am? I'm Dee Nielson."  Dee!  She and I became Facebook friends about a year ago, but had never met.  We found it each other through the Lille Stake Facebook group.  It was so nice to finally meet in person someone whom I've grown to love.  She has invited me and Elise and Johnny to her home next Sunday night for a BBQ with the missionaries.  She lives in the countryside, so she'll be picking us up at the Church.  I'm so excited to attend a BBQ in France.  That should be a bucket list item.

After church we had a great conversation with Marc and Elise Duez.  Marc was our bishop 3 years ago.  Elise and I had a great visit while Bradford and Marc strategized how to get the Duez' to NYC next summer.  This is quickly becoming my new life goal.  Their family will double the Primary of the Union Square ward.

The American couple, the Mowers, picked us up from church and drove us to their home north of Lille.  It was a lovely dinner and they are a lovely couple.  She's just been called to be the YW president of the Lille ward and has invited Johnny to join the YW's baptism trip this weekend.  We might even get to stay at the temple housing.  I'm really looking forward to this.

As Bradford and I returned to our apartment 9 hours after we had left it, I told him how this has been an amazing Sunday.  I felt so loved and welcomed.  I told Elise Duez that I truly felt like I had come home.  

Comments

Popular Posts