And the rains came tumbling down...

It's raining today in Lille.  One of those rainstorms that makes you want to curl up with a cup of hot chocolate and a blanket and watch the droplets fall outside the window.

Since I've been sick since Sunday, I've decided to open up the back patio door and the bedroom window to let the cool air through the apartment.  I'm hoping the rain will keep the bugs away.

This gentle rain storm has me thinking about another not so gentle storm thousands of miles away in Texas.  I remember those tropical storms when we lived in Austin as a result of the hurricanes in the Gulf.  But this time, it's much worse.  The death toll is rising, the water is rising, and the desire to help is also rising.  American Red Cross is raising funds as well as the LDS Church.  My friends in Houston are reporting that they are safe and I watch the pictures of the water creeping into the Houston temple.

As I think about this horrific flood from the hurricane, I think about other places in the world that would love some of that water, like northern Montana and North Dakota that are having an extreme drought.  It got me thinking, why does rain fall so unevenly around the world?  Why is Houston getting pummeled right now, Lille is getting just enough, and Montana not getting enough.  Why can't all the water in the world be equally distributed?

This question led me to think about Heavenly Father takes care of His children.  Sometimes it seems like people are showered with blessings, while others have nothing but trials.  It definitely looks to be unfair as a mortal peering in on other people's lives.  Houston doesn't DESERVE the floods, North Dakota doesn't DESERVE a drought.  I think this is where faith plays a key role.  We trust that the Lord understands what each area needs and doesn't need.  He doesn't treat us all the same, but He loves us all the same.  And since each person is different, each person receives different blessings.

Comments

Popular Posts